HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mock Scrape Attempt Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 04:03 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Super I have to agree with Ridge on this. From my experience the robust scraping from the bigger buck won't start for another 2 weeks (right around the last week in October). Then the smaller bucks start chasing soon afterward. The bigger bucks are a bit more experienced and don't waste their energy and don't start chasing until about late the first week into the second and third weeks in November. I think it all depends on the moon phase. You will catch them cruising, covering a lot of ground at this time. I shot 5 of the 6 biggest buck in my 50 year career of bowhunting here in PA during Nov 4 - 10th.
But to answer the original posters question bigger buck don't "freshen" up their scrapes as often as you think. Many time they will just pass by on the downwind side and check if any hot doe visited it. If so, then he may come in and start to trail her.
A good tip later on - around Halloween, you can start using a drag rag. But do not drag it right to your stand! You don't want a buck walk right directly in to you. Walk past your stand with it, then come back and hang it on a limb in an open land about 6' off the ground at a comfortable shooting distance.