HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Meat vs. Antlers....
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 05:24 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NotoriousBRT
I like the challenge of "trophy" hunting, shooting does around here is akin to shooting an old milk cow; anyone can do it. There is no challenge to it. Don't get me wrong, I'll fill the freezer, but it doesn't give me any huge thrill.

Many hunters are only interested in the meat. They aren't after "thrill". Frankly I had all the "thrill" I needed in combat and I hunt for enjoyment and to the fill the freezer.

I have never understood why meat hunters will shoot a young buck when they have a doe tag in their pocket. The difference in amount of meat on the carcass is negligible, and the doe will taste better.

Maybe they don't have a lot of time to hunt so they take what they see and is legal. Where does any regulation say that someone has to fill a buck tag with an old mature buck? I believe anyone should be able to hang their tag on any legal deer they choose to. After all, it is their tag right? Why should anybody have to justify their decision to you?

It's not that we hold meat hunting against anyone, it's just that we prefer you, A)didn't shoot every three pointer that walks by just because you can

Who is "we"? When did they elect "we" to speak for all hunters? If I have a tag in my pocket and I decide to take a 3 point, what is it to you? Plus, you do seem to have a problem with meat hunting when it comes to bucks or you wouldn't have even mentioned it.

, and B)understand that trophy hunting promotes good herd management, and it helps pay for conservation that helps us all.

How is this? Deer die from all kinds of things. Letting your aforementioned 3 point walk doesn't mean he will ever grow to be a monster. He could be hit by a car a week later, or killed by predators, or break a leg, or fall through the ice, or even starve to death. Any of those would still remove him from the herd. Besides how would it help pay fr conservation any more if he walked off? The same amount of $$$ goes into conservation for the tag no matter what buck ends up wearing it. $$$ is $$$ after all.
Gonna have to reserve the right to respectfully disagree on some of your points. As I have said before many times on this forum the over emphasizing the amount of bone an a deer's head will be one of the downfalls of hunting. If the public at large thinks that the only reason people are hunting is for antlers, they will rally against it. The public can and has voted to end some sorts of hunting and they will d it again if they can. The one type of hunting that has overwhelming public support is meat hunting.

Last edited by flags; 10-10-2015 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Added on.