HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 12:22 PM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
How did the old cowboys keep the barrels of their rifles from getting fouled? All they had to shoot were cast lead bullets and didn't have any Nitro solvent.
I'm sure they did get fouled but Were the barrels and slugs both rifled?

Like I said rifled slugs are designed to give....that is why they are rifled. The rifling helps them squeeze though a smooth bore barrel. The rifling acts to make them more universal and fit through multiple chokes etc. When you shoot one through rifling it is going to leave lead behind..

Even the old cowboys used smooth projectiles in rifled barrels as far as I know or even smooth projectile through smooth barrels as rifles don't have chokes there was no need to put fins on the projectile to make it squeeze through multiple chokes.

Brenneke slugs fly better because they have better weight distribution. Rifled slugs get their flight from their weight forward design not the rifling and Brenneke takes that weight distribution to a level above most other rifled slugs.

The bottom line is the rifled slugs will work through rifled or smooth bore barrels although they will likely lead foul a rifled barrel and likely not shoot any better than they would in the much cheaper smooth bore barrel they were designed for.

A Sabot shot through a smooth bore will be terrible and a sabot shot through a rifled barrel will out perform the rifled slugs in either barrel.

Last edited by rockport; 10-08-2015 at 01:42 PM.