HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New hunter needing gun advice.
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 09:29 AM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnJameson
My local gun store is running a special on the Remington 783 scoped rifle. They carry all of the available calibers for the same price, and I'm struggling to figure out what would be best. I would like to be able to drop a deer out to 300 yds, and begin to practice at long range target shooting. I might have an opportunity in the future to hunt elk, but for the time being, this gun will be used for whitetail.

I would like to get the most bang for my buck. Could you help me figure out which caliber would be best?

Here are the available models:

223 Rem
243 Win
270 Win
308 Win
30-06 Sprg
7mm Rem Mag
300 Win Mag

And a link to the model info:
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...83-scoped.aspx
Everything but the .223 will kill deer well and are legal (.223 isn't legal in all states if you decide to hunt out of state). The .243 or .270 are ideal deer caliber rifles and both will work out to and past 300 yards. Any of the 30 calibers and the 7MM Mag will work for elk. You didn't specify which type of target shooting (competition, etc.) you're thinking about. Different types of long range shooting require different calibers, rifles, scopes or iron sights, etc. Have you considered that you may want to have different rifles/calibers for different types of hunting and target shooting?