HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why I hunt.
Thread: Why I hunt.
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 04:10 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Talking Why I hunt.

Why I hunt.
First off it is because I live in American and can own firearms and bows and have the right to do so.

I started hunting small game in a mostly to busy to hunt family, dad it seemed had two out side jobs and the farm to care for in spare time. It was those fall day with my little brother that instilled the love of partridge hunting, squirrels and rabbits.

Then in my early teen years attending school in town for the first time and meeting kids who's dads deer hunted I developed a desire to do that as well. Started as soon as I was old enough but was not very good at it having to learn every thing from books and listening to tales from school chums.
Met my hunting partner who grew up hunting a bunch with his family who were hunting some thing all the time. He took me under his wing for 46 years and taught me all I know today it seems.

That part of hunting was the best getting together with friends his family and going afield. Good natured ribbing about missing a shot accusing each other of shooting pats out of trees ducks and geese on the water. I feel today the best times of my life were those days.

Later hunting and teaching our kids who finally went their own way. so it boiled down to just my friend and I for 14 years before he passed away.

I only squirrel, deer hunt mostly now alone and coyote hunt with a select 5 friends which is mostly day hunts. Some times 4 of us will get together early in the morning to hunt coyotes and again in the early evening, but it normally will not be the same guys morning and evening or day to day.

We seem to enjoy at ribbing each other about being blind when we did see a coyote or missed what was deemed a simple easy shot.

With just the two of us living in this house Kids in other states I can be picky what I tag during deer season. The meat is nice but not all that important any longer. Even though we in my area can buy 5 doe tags a day over the counter I have not bought one in over 50 years.

Yes I am a old codger be 69 soon. My old partner said back in 2003 that we would have to stop hunting some day. 2004 was his last season passing away in 2005. I also plan on my last hunting season being the one that closed before the day I die.

Al