HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Meat vs. Antlers....
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Well Mr Bison, your argument doesn't hold water with me, and several others I know. If there is a big rack buck next to a bigger bodied doe, which is not all that uncommon where I hunt, I have killed doe that approached 180 lbs, I will take the doe. I do not care one whit about antlers, I have killed a lot of deer in over 50, years of hunting and you will not find one rack at my home. I gave them all away. For me the act of hunting and the comradeship of those I hunt with is what turns me on and turning what I kill into delicious meals. I can't even make soup out of antlers. I suppose it is hard for those enamored by and those who covet big antlers to understand they aren't worth spit to many of us, they grow them, they fall off and they grow them again. This obsession with big antlers will eventually kill sport hunting and hunting for the sake of the enjoyment of hunting. It has already started with the high fence operations where you pay for deer by the inch of antler, and with the so called hunting shows with the so-called experts who simply climb in a stand that has been set up for them and the areas scouted and perhaps baited and they shoot a large rack buck and pretend they were hunting. I have had many a good meal from the game I have killed, I have fed many people with the game I have killed. I have yet to feed anyone with the bone on the head of an animal I have killed. Far too many people believe the size of the antlers on a deer someone kills is the deciding factor on how good a hunter that person is. That is a false belief! I do find it amusing that those who covet bone just can't seem to grasp that not everyone does. That said, if limiting ones self to just large antlered deer is your thing, have at it, just don't call those who say they don't, liars!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 09-10-2015 at 01:38 PM.