HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Meat vs. Antlers....
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 12:29 PM
tatonka
Fork Horn

Default Meat vs. Antlers....

I've had a few discussions with other hunters regarding those who say they are strictly meat hunters......that they could care less about antlers. Now to clarify, I absolutely love wild game. I'd dare to say that at least 3/4 of the protein we eat is venison, game birds, and fish, but I also love hunting big, mature buck (or any other mature big game animal).

My argument when someone tells me that could care less about antlers is that if a young forkhorn or doe were standing next to a monster B&C buck, how many people who say they are strictly meat hunters are going to shoot the doe or forkhorn? I don't know anyone who would pass on the B&C buck..

I had a granola type friend a few years back who used to give me a bit of a hard time about the antlers on the wall.....said he only hunted for meat.......until one day I stopped by his place and he had a big Muley Buck hanging in his garage. I asked him why he shot it instead of a doe (we could should Muley does at the time)... He had a sheepish grin on his face, shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know"......