HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Most lethal broadhead
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 07:59 AM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
As a matter of fact the blood trails ARE a lot heavier and my preferred shot is low lung/heart so the arrow nails the bottom of both lungs and the top of the heart between. High placed shots are always going to be harder to track because more blood stays in the body cavity instead of draining. I have had several complete pass throughs using Toxic since they came out. Not only do I keep whatever broadhead I'm using scary sharp, but I also go to the extra length of costing the head with petroleum jelly to keep the blades from rusting. I get called several times every year to help find lost deer, so I've tracked a quite a lot of deer over the years, both mine and other people's deer. The more blood trail you have, the better. This becomes crucial when trailing an animal in rain or other conditions where blood trail has diminished or harder to see. My questions stands-have you ever personally tried them before condemning them?
No I haven't tried them. I don't need to run out and try every new broadhead with a huge "cutting surface" to know what that causes to happen.

Now my questions stand as well.

1. How many well hit deer have you seen lost from lack of a blood trail?

2. How many deer have you seen lost from lack of penetration causing only an entry wound?

The broadhead industry addresses things based on marketing. We see it year after year just on this forum alone. People will lose deer every year because they used a broadhead with to much cutting surface and didn't get a pass through and the only wound on the animal is a high entry wound.

What we won't see is people losing animals because they put a broadhead with a moderate cutting surface plum through the vitals of an animal and didn't get plenty of blood to track that animal.

What we will see is people losing animals because their broadheads with a huge cutting surface got lodged in the far shoulder......and we will see it over and over again.

Blood trails on well hit deer has never been a problem and certainly not a problem worth the trade off of getting less penetration. Its all about maketing and sometimes the truth is boring and doesn't sell.