HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many deer
Thread: How many deer
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 06:34 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I generally listen to what the Game Commission (or the local equivalent) has to say. Mostly they get it right.

Personally I'm happy with a Spike Buck and hundred or hundred fifty pound Sow a year. I usually harvest a bit of small game also, Hare, Rabbit, Duck and Pheasant.

Most years I end up with some extra. I get called periodically for lost Game. Some weekend hunter gave up looking for the game he wounded and the guide calls for a Dog. Maybe one in three says you found it, it's yours (and pays for it). The other two will argue about it to the death. Even when you explain (here) that the law says when it wanders onto adjoining property it belongs to the land owner, not the guy who shot it. And then they argue again when they get the bill and don't get their Deer.

We don't use tags here, we use a quota system. The Wardens do a game census and the bureaucrats set the quota for a particular geographic area.

One of the spots where the Greenies and their LaLa land philosophy became really evident. They lauded the old Iron curtain 3 mile exclusion zone (no hunting, no German soldiers, no civilian firearms) as a haven for wild game and an example of natures bounty. I was tasked, with around 150 other hunters, to thin the herd out. What we found was a real eye opener. Dead rotting carcasses, what live game we found was in terrible shape, all sorts of disease rampant, Mange on all the Deer. The Red Deer were skin and bones, reminded me of the pictures of the old Nazi concentration camps. It was really terrible. Sometimes there is a radical difference between the vision and the reality.

We had an epidemic outbreak of Echinococcus multilocularis in the Fox population here. The Game Commission encouraged us to thin the Fox out, I was shooting 20 plus Fox a year. I actually found it more challenging and fun than hunting Deer. Except it gave me the willies. A particularly nasty type of parasite, that has no cure, the eggs are so small they can go air born and be breathed in. I handled every Fox I shot like toxic waste.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-08-2015 at 06:45 AM.