HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help with stand placement (with map)
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

If you set a stand up on an inside corner of a wood line, you are getting 90 degrees of view. On an outside corner 270 degrees. The middle of a wood line 180 degrees.

Most of the stands here have been in the same spots for centuries. And I can only think of a very few that are on the inside corner of a wood line. Usually on the shortest way home to a bedding area, a morning stand, usually for Boar.

The evening stands are almost always in a position for the widest field of fire. Best guess is because the Deer are leery coming into feed and it can be difficult to predict where they are going to pop out of a wood line.

I really haven't thought about it a lot, I usually use spots that have been in use forever.

Occasionally I'll set up for a specific Deer that I have already got figured out and have it's habits mapped. Then the only criteria is a decent field of fire, the breeze and a safe direction to shoot.

Two ways I set up, ambush between where they feed and where they bed down (mornings) and where they are feeding (evenings). The best shot in hunting IMO is when they are feeding head down, not too much that can go wrong there.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-01-2015 at 09:50 PM.