HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Advice
Thread: Advice
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 04:25 PM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

Bow season opens here in 4 weeks, it will be my 2nd season with my "basement bargain Jackal" that I picked up last summer at a local Bargain Hunt for $150, brand new, in box, un-assembled. (Buddy that works there told me they get Amazon returns as Amazon doesn't resell returns but many times those returns were gifts that were returned for exchange/credit/refund whatever. Doesn't mean the item was returned for a defect. Just gotta look the item over to determine if it's been used) I have a 12yr old TenPoint Titan that Ive hunted with since new & honestly I bought the Jackal for a backup, guest use & my boys if they wanted to.

I put the Jackal together, lubed the ever loving crap out of the cables, string, flight rail, trigger assembly & a few drops of Royal Purple in the axles & then headed to the backyard to sight it in. After about 2-3 bolts I realized I had a BIG PROBLEM on my hands... This new "el cheapo" was considerably faster & flatter shooting than my old TenPoint, plus it was considerably lighter & handled better! Yeah I know it's got more plastic in it & sure it'll likely be in the junk pile in a decade & the TenPoint will probably still be flingn bolts but it works fine NOW so I'm hunting with it NOW!

And another funny, a couple weeks later I was back in the Bargain Hunt & again they had a Amazon return, new in box, never assembled BuckCommander BCX superdynawhopper whatever crossbow kit on the shelf for $189! I looked it over, it was flawless & complete so I called my huntn bud who was lookn for a decent crossbow for his first bow season. He told me to get it, I took it home, assembled it, lubed it & headed for the backyard... MAN did I screw up AGAIN! That thing HONKS a bolt like lightening. Considerably faster than my TenPoint OR the Jackal. I should've sold him the Jackal & bought the BuckCommander for myself! It too has been flawless & will be going into its second season next month.

Now if I were going to shoot 500 bolts per day & had the absolute lightest bolts & heads possible in it & was running everything "on the ragged edge" then yeah I'd rather have a much more expensive, higher Perf xbow. I wouldn't expect $300-$500 xbows to live & perform like the $1000+ units out there. But for a couple of buds who just want to hunt & their practice rounds might be 10-20 bolts a week & they don't want to hear the old lady fuss about the $$$ outlay, then sure GET ONE is my answer!

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING you can do is keep everything properly lubed. (I lube the string, cable & flight rail after each 10 or so bolts!) & just use common sense, don't store them in a hot truck or garage. Givem a thorough inspection before AND after each use.