HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buying One Rifle 30-30 or 45-70 Please Help Me Decide/Handicapped Hunter
Old 08-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Phattwoohie
Spike

Default Buying One Rifle 30-30 or 45-70 Please Help Me Decide/Handicapped Hunter

I know this has been debated before but mostly the answer I see is 80% of responses mention how the 30-30 has lighter recoil and the ammo is cheaper and more readily available. Well, I want to take that out of the equation, because it doesn't pertain to my situation.

I'm not worried about the money factor or the ammo availability factor. I order all my ammo and even my guns online. I don't shop at the local gun store, in fact I order everything online from groceries to truck tires. So I can order whatever ammo I need and have it delivered to my door.

Second, I'm a big guy so recoil doesn't bother me at all, nor am I a flincher.

Here is what the real problem is and why I lean towards the 45-70 but still am not sure what to do. I have a medical problem and can't walk too good. I can stand up and I can walk, but the walking takes a bit of effort and is not very pleasant.

I hunt public land here in Louisiana, some WMA's and some national forest. This will be my first year deer hunting since I was about 14 years old. I haven't hunted deer in 26 years! I have hunted squirrels and rabbits but I turned 40 this year and kind of bummed I never shot a deer. My dad took me when I was younger and I shot at 2 different deer but didn't hit them. I killed some hogs when I was younger using a 30-30 with a scope so I know it is a great gun as well.

I'll be hunting in some woods where it is thick but the couple spots I have picked out are both near a creek with lots of deer and hog sign. From the hill I'll set up on, I can see about 200 yards in a 360 degree arc, with the creek being about 125 yards down the hill below me. Both spots I will be using a ground blind with a chair inside and a shooting stick to steady the gun. I have to use an ATV to get to my areas, and to pull my deer out of the woods. I bought a small camo tarp to cover the ATV which will be parked next to the blind. I will spray the tarp down with some kind of scent or scent killer to try to mask any gas smell.

I know the 30-30 is very effective at that range but what has me thinking about the 45-70 is stopping power. I don't want to have to track a deer a long ways into the woods especially since I have to use the ATV instead of walking. I'm wondering if the 45-70 will prevent them from running further after being shot. I've seen plenty of guys saying that with proper shot placement the 30-30 can drop them in their tracks, but I keep thinking that 45-70 impact should knock a whitetail down pretty easy.

I'm a much better shot than I used to be, so I'm confident I can put the round where it needs to be.

Do you think the 45-70 would damage more meat? Someone who has shot a deer with both a 30-30 and a 45-70, can you tell me if your deer ran less after being shot with the bigger gun? Or did it really make a difference?

The Marlin guide gun in 45-70 and the 30-30, weigh close to each other in terms of overall rifle weight. Plus it will be lugged into the woods on a gun rack on the ATV, so gun weight isn't a factor. Ammo won't be either as I'll order several boxes online, so won't be relying on the local gunshop to have it in stock.

Or in my situation, do you maybe think I'm overlooking another caliber? I own a 30-06 but I have a preference for the lever guns. Plus my 06 is longer and not as compact as the lever guns.