HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DPMS Oracle
Thread: DPMS Oracle
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well I have a Stag Arms AR-15 and I really like it. I had a hankering for a .308 semi. I was originally thinking of getting a M1A (probably a Springfield) either full length or SOCOM model. But after reading what I could find on both the M1A and the AR-10, the consensus was that the AR is generally more accurate.
So looking at the different manufacturers the DPMS got the nod for the best bang for my buck.
I'd tend to agree with that, especially when compared dollar for dollar. I had a Douglas barreled Springfield M1A National Match for a short time that was an incredibly accurate rifle, but I had over $2500 into it. At that time, you could almost pick up 3 AR-10's for that, or two that would shoot better than most folks. I'd be prone to think, or at least WANT to think that an M1A could be made more accurate than a 10 could, but it's probably just nostalgia getting in the way, clouding my judgement.

It's a lot cheaper to work on a 10, replace barrels, etc. The M1A is a lot sexier, but "bang for the buck" value is definitely in the 10's.