HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is your elk hunting workout?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have some spikes I can slip on my boots when it's slippery. They save a lot of falls, and injuries.

I use these.

http://www.rei.com/product/890608/ka...raction-system
I would also say that now I would do as much as possible to slide that elk meat down the hill. For example, I could have put those chunks of meat on a plastic tarp and slid them down the hill. I might have even done two loads of meat on every trip, saving myself half my trips.

I remember being proud that I had thought to slide my dead elk off the hillside about 40 yards to a level area shaded by a few trees with snow where I could bury the cut-up elk meat. The steepness of the hill and the slipperiness of the surface made skidding the elk not too difficult. And that was a good plan. It was my first elk kill. But now in retrospect it occurs to me it would have been an even BETTER plan to skid the whole elk carcass all the way down to the level trail area. That would have made the bringing down of the elk meat easier.

On the other hand, that might have been a kind of advertising sign to rival hunters "Looky here, y'all!!! An elk was killed near here!!!"

It is good to think about all these things. It takes a while for such layers of thinking to come to a hunter.

Last edited by Alsatian; 08-16-2015 at 12:33 PM.