HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is your elk hunting workout?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 04:35 AM
longknife12
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
It's difficult to train for altitude when you're a flat lander. Condition your muscles to handle anything the hunt can throw at you. I don't have elk hunting experience but I worked in Colorado as a backpacking and hiking guide for a few summers. I've seen people who appear to be in great shape really struggle between the elevation and the constant climbing. Walking or running on flat ground doesn't prepare you for the up and down beating that mountains can give you. So I'd try to find ways to train for the grades you will encounter. Back strength, shoulder strength, leg strength are all important for carrying your packs. Build up your cardio, gasping for breath is a good way to miss an elk. I always tried to keep a very consistent pace while backpacking, but for a hunt sometimes you may need to really hustle to get somewhere for a shot so be prepared for those potential high output moments.

Also, don't overlook the small training things you can do. I have had some knee and ankle surgeries in the past that I've done some therapy for. Keep up with those area specific exercises to make sure that an old injury doesn't decide to bite you at a bad time. It's easy to say "it's healed" and forget about it. But I've found that they feel allot better when I'm specifically strengthening those areas.
-Jake
In flat lands, you can also add stair climbing. Living here, I do my daily walks and weights. My walks are up hills and down hills. At the tender age of 72, I no longer try extreme hunting....just enough to survive it!
Dan