HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is your elk hunting workout?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 04:28 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

I think a week might be a bit too long for the average hunter training for elk hunting. You may be going past the point of recovery, and getting into losing for fitness.

Whatever training you do make sure you simulate packing out meat too. This means wearing a pack with progressively heavy loads just like you add a little weight in weight training. Start on level ground, and then gradually start to climb up and down hills/mountains. Straight weight training isn't as good, and hiking with a heavy pack with develop all the small supporting muscles, tendons, and ligaments you need to carry a heavy pack. Also, going up and down hills will develop the structure from different angles.

Also, getting good cardio can't be suggested strong enough. You'll need all you can develop. I hike the Rockies everyday at 11,000ft, and carrying a heavy pack still kicks my butt.

I've always trained hard, and eat nothing but natural foods. Here's me at 49 years old. Exercise and good food will keep you in shape. Don't let off in the off season, and then try to catch up when hunting season is getting close. It doesn't work. Staying in shape is a full time job.