HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New arrows and broadheads... Please Help!!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:08 AM
cjclemens
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MissionCRAZE1
Thanks CJ!!! Should I use the Muzzy Phantoms? And will that tremendously change my arrow flight? Thanks guys... Only my 2nd year bowhunting
I had some older Muzzy Phantoms and I wasn't too impressed with them. Muzzy has a new Phantom SC out that people are pretty excited about, but I've yet to get my hands on some.

Fixed heads I've used and know are good would include Slick Tricks, Magnus Stingers, NAP Thunderheads, and Montecs. I currently use Magnus Stingers. They fly great and come with an unconditional guarantee. If you bend or break one, they will replace it - no questions asked. Slick Tricks would be my second choice. There's nothing special about them. They just fly great and come out of the package with a scary sharp edge on them.

Lastly, Montecs are a good solid design. They fly well, and are made to be just about bullet proof. However, they're not known to leave the best blood trails. Some feel that this is because of the wider blade angle, making it sharp like a knife. This is in contrast to the thinner blades of a Slick Trick or Thunderhead, which are sharp like a scalpel or a brand new razor blade. That being said, Montecs have been around for a long time and there's quite a few guys who put deer down with them every year.

If you do your part, any of these broadheads will likely give you a full pass through (unless you hit a shoulder bone). If your bow is properly tuned, you shouldn't see any difference in flight, at all. A well tuned bow will stack fixed heads, mechanical heads, and field points into the same group.