HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Canada goose/or any other goose prepared whole
Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Before you prepare wld goose you are going to want to taste some. Additionally, one wild goose does not a family meal make, you will need about one goose for every two people because the only real meat in the breast meat, there is a little on the thigh but not much. I like to pluck my Canada geese, then stuff them with tart apples and while they are roasting, baste them with apple cider. When you take the bird out of the oven, put it on a carving board or platter and tent it with aluminum foil and let it stand for 10 to 15 minutes before carving. Do not over cook them, the meat should be pink when you cut it, othrwise it will be tough. I repeat, do not overcook wild goose, or wild duck for that matter. They do not cook the same as a domestic goose because domestic geese are very fatty, while Canada geese do have some fat but nothing like a domestic goose which will be considerably larger and take longer to roast. I am not trying to discourage you, I used to kill some Canada geese every year for a chef friend who made them on Thanksgiving for family. I just believe you should practice first and get the cooking down before you spring it on the family. For ducks, I usually pluck them and fillit out the breast halves, salt and pepper both sides and scour the skin in a crosshatch with a sharp knife. Place skin side down in a skilletwith a small amount of oil and saute till the skin is crisp, then turn it over and saute until it is done rare, about 5 minutes, remove from the pan and cover with foil for 10 minutes and slice each breast thinly on the bias, then slide your knife under the breast slices which should still be in place and put it on a plate. I make an orange and cranberry juice and honey reduced sauce and spoon a little over the breast when served. I make domestic duck the same way but I put no oil in the pan because the domestic duck will exude a lot of fat when the skin is crisping. If you are interested, I also make pepper steak out of duck breasts and I have a quick and easy recipe to make goose breast on the grill.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-21-2015 at 11:50 AM.