HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 05:11 AM
Triple Se7en
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mzelktag
I have a Triumph Bone Collector and I am trying to work up a load for Elk for my Wife and I am all over the place. Three times to the range now and mis-fires each time. Figured it has to be the breech plug and I cleaned it and soaked it and cleaned with a drill bit (twisting with my fingers). Went to the range, 80 gr. Blackhorn 209. Fed. Bore Lock, Winchester 209 Shotgun Primer. Pow, nice shot. Remove breech plug, look thru hole is clear, pre-soaked patch, two dry patches, install breech plug.

Loaded as before, Pow, 1-1/4 in from first shot at 100 yds. Same routine as above, and reloaded.

Misfire. Bullet in the grass 40 yds in front of me. Re-do above routine. Same result.

Switch to Pyrodex. Fired every time but I'm not grouping that well. I hear how awesome Blackhorn 209 is and I love it when it works.

What am I doing wrong? Please advise. Seems like problem has to be breech plug fouling. New gun, just broke the seal on the 209 powder.
Bullet landing 40 yards in front of you with Blackhorn could mean a combination of loose bullet and powder not compacted enough. How loose does that Federal lock-bullet slide down your bore? Blackhorn likes snug/tight bullets. The misfire could even indicate either a defective plug or worn-out breechplug. How many shots have gone thru that Bone Collector bore and original breechplug?

I would buy another breechplug - then buy a tighter-fitting sabot/bullet to try - then compact that bullet firmly onto the powder. That requires a t-handle type accessory at the end of your ramrod. Lastly, make sure that bore and plug are dry when loading your next shot. You can dry-swab Blackhorn. Just obstain from liquid until you get this problem resolved, then only use a wet patch with Blackhorn at the end of your range visit. Shooters often comment here that they go an entire range visit without wet-swabbing Blackhorn.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 07-21-2015 at 05:16 AM.