HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New hunting regulations in Virginia
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 07:03 PM
MountainHunter
Typical Buck

The licenses here in VA were raised a couple of years back, but not dramatically. They are pretty reasonably priced for state residents, and you can take a lot of deer with a license (5 or 6, depending on where you harvest them), but the reason for that is that deer are a really significant nuisance species in much of the state. But the VDGIF doesn't really do much management, so I think that is why fees are so low. I suppose that could be turned around and someone could say they don't do much managing because licenses are so low. But if the bear are becoming much more of a significant nuisance species (which they definitely are), I don't think it makes much sense to dis-incentivize people to harvest them by requiring a separate license. I, for one, hunt in a place where bears are a real nuisance, and was planning to shoot one if I saw one, just to help out with the problem and get some meat for some friends. But I'm not going to pay for a separate license to harvest one. And the urine/gland thing is just ridiculous, IMHO.