HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any experience with Boyd's or MacMillan stocks?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I have, and have had, multiples of McMillan and Boyd's stocks. It's kinda hard to compare a Lexus with a Honda, but that doesn't make a Honda a "bad car."

The McMillain A2 and A5 are possibly my favorite rifle stock profiles of all time. I tend to prefer wood, but if it ain't wood, make mine a Mac A2 or 5. The only actions that I've had them in are Ruger M77's, Savage 12's, and Remington 700's. The gooseneck really fits my hand/wrist well and the flared forend just makes me grin for form AND function, absolutely love the A2 and A5. They're heavy, but I'm still young enough to manage the weight.

I have multiple Boyd's stocks, all laminates, of course. Almost all of them require a LITTLE fitting of the action to seat cleanly, but nothing that someone with a file or sandpaper can't handle. I have two Evolution space age skeletons, a couple thumbhole varminters, a a couple prairie hunters - on Ruger 10/22's, Savage Mark II's, a Savage B-mag, Rem 700's, and Ruger M77's. The laminates are still heavy, but surprisingly light for what they are, at least in the models that I have.

Like Ridge Runner mentioned, both of them really need to be bedded (can say I think any bolt action should be bedded). Once the rifle is bedded properly (aka - once the stock perfectly fits the rifle/action) then how the stock fits you is what will matter the most.