HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the most??
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 08:55 AM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

One thing I learned about the whitetails in northern MI, is that taking out the older does isn't the best thing. With hard cold winters, those older does with experience teach the younger deer how to survive it. MI whitetail hunting has its own unique hunters and the different ways many of them think and, there are a ton of whitetail hunters in MI. The farms in MI have all been broken up and sold off in small parcels. That in itself creates a problem between hunters/property owners.
Before I retired, we had 240 acres down below (southern MI). It was quite unique, as the entire deer population to the south, had to travel through ours to head to a larger 2x4 mile section with cover. My first day hunting it, I had exactly 111 deer come by me going into the section. Of the 111 that passed, only one (1) was a VISABLE antlered buck.
The MI-DNR started giving doe tags out at a rate of one per day, starting in early Sept through the end of Dec. That's when the "great reduction" started in S. MI and I did my share. I NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER, seen a winter die off/kill there. Does remained very healthy with more browse available and all the crops they could stand to eat. With all those very healthy does, still twins were the norm and still are according to the now owner.
I had a buddy that hunted with me and a couple of his boys, all of us shooting muzzleloaders. The decision was made (voluntarily) to harvest 8pts or more, we also took out more of the younger does. It wasn't long before some of the neighbors asked me what the hell we were doing, as they were seeing more and a little larger antlered bucks. Come to find out, they had started the same practice 3 years after we started. I'm of the understanding there's 5,000 adjoining acres following the same practice today.

So in some areas, its my belief and certainly the belief of many others, that letting some of the older mature does go, is actually the best thing.