HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the most??
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 06:21 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

rafsob, 2000 acres, if properly managed, will hold a good many quality deer. The key, at least what I have found over the years, is creating excellent bedding cover, food, and not over pressuring. To put it simply, give them a home they want to stay at. Those three properties I manage hold approximately 90 deer. Of course they roam some to neighboring properties as it is in their nature but all in all they stick around. They have good food supplied by several acres of food plots, as well as natural browse, great water source and several heavily covered bedding spots. With the Buck to Doe ratio that we have finally gotten down to 2 doe per buck, they don't have a whole hell of a lot of reason to roam out during rut. Most all the "Big Boys" have girlfriends without much competition. Roaming bucks from neighboring properties get swiftly jumped and turned away from the area by the dominants. The ones that don't, believe me, deserve to stay! The younger bucks that cant compete with the dominants get ran off to breed elsewhere which helps establish a larger base. Good for us and good for the neighboring properties. I know for a fact that 2 of the big bucks taken in Northern Kentucky last year came from our line. My son has the Grandfather of them on his wall.