HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Talk me out of, or into, a Take-down?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I know that heating barrels tends to make guys itchy, but silver soldering is not an issue if a guy knows what they are doing (if ya just drop your barrel in the furnace, she'll get too hot - but that's not the right technique). Guys have been silver soldering on barrels for hundreds of years. Front sights on single action revolvers like the Colt or Ruger Vaquero are the most common instance of this that most guys are familiar with, but there are lots of other instances of modern designs using this process. Barrel bands, banded front sights, many rear sights, front sight bases on Ruger Super Blackhawks, vent ribs on shotguns, alignment/regulation lugs for double barrel guns, and the list goes on - lots of stuff still gets silver soldered to barrels every day.

It ain't a cheap/fast process and it does require skilled labor, so companies are looking for ways to eliminate that step in their production process, but it's nothing foreign.
Oh I know it's not foreign. But what you are proposing will take a lot more heating around the barrel end to solder it well enough to withstand recoil. Spot heating long enough for the "spot welds" such as front sites and such doesn't require long heating cycles like what you will have to do to do a proper soldering. Keeping that barrel end at silver soldering heat can destabilize your temper. Just food for thought. Wouldn't want to see you do this and lose an eye or something because your chamber blew apart. Chromoly can be a very ill tempered metal to deal with. It takes bends and stuff extremely well but when you start messing around in 800+ degree heat then you start getting iffy. Stainless is even more so a pain in the rear as it is pretty heat sensitive as well.