HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Scouting in July/August Questions?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 10:39 AM
TheBombedBUCK
Spike

Question Deer Scouting in July/August Questions?

DISCLAIMER: I am very new to hunting, started last year, so please bear with me on some of these questions, Thanks -Jake

So guys, as I have posted in a previous thread, I have recently come upon new hunting property up here in New York. I have been scouting the new land a few times now. I think I know what I am looking for when I am out in the field, but my question is more about the actual deer themselves.

The property that I am scouting is very heavily populated deer area. By this I mean whenever I drive past there are almost always deer in the alfalfa field and whenever I have been out to scout the wooded section, which is about 4 times so far, I have seen/spooked deer EVERY TIME. This is what I am worried about. I think I know where I am going to place my stand but I want to do some more scouting, but I am afraid to go deeper because it seems the farther in I go, the more deer I spook. (I have gone in at several different times a day). So recently I have not gone scouting because of the fear of spooking off more deer.

So here are my questions: When I go in and accidentally spook the deer, will this chase the deer right off the property so that they don't come back during the season? Or is it still early enough, being June, to spook them and have it make no difference?

If by me scouting this area and unintentionally scaring the deer can be a major problem, what should I do because I definitely need to do more scouting? If not, are there any precautions I can take to avoid spooking them?

Thanks for your time!