HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - non-lead and chokes
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 08:24 AM
jepcho
Nontypical Buck

I haven't killed a turkey with lead shot in the last 12 years. Been all Hevishot, and that hasn't been because I have to. I can shoot lead here but I made the decision for performance reasons. I always shot hevi #6's until two years ago and I switched to hevi magnum blends, which is blend of 5's, 6's, and 7's. I shoot a hevishot brand turkey choke right now, but have shot a Carlson's choke and an HS undertaker in the past. All have been excellent. Other excellent choke options for hevishot would be Patternmaster, Indian Creek, primos jellyhead. Just look around. A lot of turkey chokes today are approved for use with hevishot, probably more are than ones that are lead only now. Just make sure whatever turkey choke you decide on says you can shoot hevi through it. But I'd definitely give a big plug for Hevishot brand turkey choke with hevishot magnum blend loads. It is the deadliest pattern I've shot. Good luck with whatever you decide. You will definitely gain performance over lead, although the shells are quite expensive.