HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 12GA From Hell
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The question is, how long before states that require shotgun only decide that a gun that for all intent and purpose is more rifle than shotgun is not going to be legal in shotgun only areas or shotgun only states. When a brass case is loaded with a single projectile and is loaded into a firearm with a rifled barrel, and that brass casing (cartridge) was made for that specific firearm, is that firearm still a shotgun or is it a rifle? I believe the case can easily be made that it is a rifle doing what a rifle was meant to do, and that is to fire bullets, not shot. I suspect if this comes to the attention of shotgun only states or states with shotgun only areas, they will call it a rifle.
A 12ga is forever and always a 12ga, even when loaded with a single slug and a brass case. A plastic or paper hull does not a shotgun make. Most "shotgun only" states also only allow slugs anyway, so the single projectile thing is a moot point.

I suppose it's worth pointing out as well, most of the "shotgun only" states are adopting a "straight wall cartridge" policy as well, so I don't think it'll be many years before that point becomes completely moot.

For what it's worth, Ed's been working on this thing for a long time and there's a reason that there really aren't a ton of them in the field (no insult). Custom rifles in custom cartridges are a rarity anyway, let alone a cartridge like this that's a bit more thump than the average Joe really needs, so with the cost of Ed's toys compared to something like the Savage 212, nobody is buying one of his "guns" for shotgunning whitetails in Ohio (hate saying "gun" but a No. 1 is a rifle, a 12ga is a shotgun - what's a 12ga No.1?)...

Last edited by Nomercy448; 06-25-2015 at 07:07 AM.