HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The PA GAME COMMISSION
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 07:01 PM
hatchet jack
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
My post has the when, 1951, the first archery only season. A man named Clayton Shenk who was an Olympic archer and an active oficer in the Lancaster federation for years, lobbied the legislature for a long time to have a season just for archers. Since that 1st season in 1951, the legnth of the archery season has increased. One year the Motor City whack job Ted Ngent,came to a PA Game Commission to lobby the board for a longer archery season so they could hunt the rut, that was 1993 when the season was extended for 2 weeks. If gun hunters got 1st crack at the buck, as you ask, the archers would complain, the same as the gun hunters do now. Everyone wants to be first.
It has nothing to do with who get's first crack or who's complaining. No way the PGC would hold a 2 week Buck gun season the time of year Archery season is. That would be fatal to the Deer Herd of PA. Besides the Special Reg areas how much has the general Archery season change since 1993? It went to 6 weeks and the Late winter Archery/Flintlock. What is it now? Compared to most other states not the long at all. Which I like, it seems to be working if you ask me. The PGC needs to stay the course for the Herd, Antler size and the health of our Forrest's

Hatchet Jack