HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Open sights range?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Not sure why you're taking this personally? I'm talking in general. I just think guys give up on open sights before they need to. I say this, because I know how hard it is to go to a scope after using open sights all my life.

I was stubborn, and wouldn't give in long past what most would have turned to a scope. I still killed game, and that made it all the harder to leave open sights. I'm not sure i'm done yet. I'm blind in one eye, and have 20/40 in the other. Not the hot tip for open sights, but I can still get it done, because I really hate scopes. I buy and sell a lot of scopes, but i've never gone hunting with them, except for coyote. I don't consider that hunting, but call it extermination.

You don't need great eyesight to hunt with a peep, FO front sight, and a 6'oclock hold. Even if the front bead is blurry I can set it under the kill zone, and hit it dead center.

A gun with just iron sights is easier to carry, shoulders faster, and has better balance than a scoped gun.

Writing this out just convinced me i'm not done with iron sights yet. I may never be. I hate giving up on anything I love to do so much just because i'm getting older. I'm way too stubborn for that.

Anyway, everybody shoot like they want to. As will I. Scopes are for old farts. I'm only 72.