HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pheasant pen
Thread: Pheasant pen
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 06:22 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

I also hope that the OP gets some information from a reputable source like you mentioned Oldtimr. I've yet to see birds raised in a pen with wire laid out on the ground. A properly built pen's sides should always goes down at least 1 and preferably 2 or more feet below the ground surface and then preferably horizontally underground another 3-4 feet with the wire such that it takes a varmint a lot of time and energy to get inside. If a varmint only had to go down a few inches before tunneling under the exposed wire those birds wouldn't have a chance within just a few minutes. The OP will also find out the proper nutrition and amount of food each bird needs from the getgo to survive to a healthy release stage and I don't believe maggots/meal worms are on that list! Perhaps our other member shouldn't offer these "helpful" comments that don't appear to be the least bit accurate, even though well intended!

Here is just one link I quickly found that is from a place that has been in business for 50 years and has a lot of valuable information in it about raising birds from 5 day old chicks to adult size with a lot of great tips on construction of the places needed to keep them from that age until releasing, feeding, watering, etc. http://www.oakwoodgamefarm.com/pages/Tips-for-Raising

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-08-2015 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Put in link