HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shark tooth muzzle brake/compensator combination
Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Freightliner357
Door breaches and CQB
So, I'll say this, such that I can say in the future - don't say that I didn't warn you...

1) Breaching with a high pressure rifle round is idiotic, for multiple reasons. If you've ever done any breaching, you'd realize that it's not for the feint of heart, nor for anyone without hearing protection. Doing so with a 12ga is bad enough, breaching blast from rifles is just awful, and the destructive effect is orders of magnitude lower than that of a shotgun.

2) Muzzle devices, even bayonets, have been proven ineffective. As someone that has trained and has instructed in CQB, if I ever found myself in a scenario where those skills were necessary, I would LOVE to have my adversary attempt to use a flash hider against me. By the time you're close enough to use your mean looking muzzle break, my rifle is behind my back or on the ground, and my pistol or my knife is in my hand, and my free hand goes to your muzzle break - now I own control of your muzzle, and you're dead. You are easy prey if you try to use that device as a weapon.

It's a gimmick - guys want their rifles to look mean. I can get that. But don't be deluded enough to believe that it offers a tactical advantage for those applications.