HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger No.1
Thread: Ruger No.1
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Number1fan
Spike

For years I had a #1 270 Win. It shot 3\8th groups at 100 yards. That one is gone. I now have three, a 204 Ruger, 25-06 and a 300 Weatherby Mag. The 204 is a laser with Hornandy 32 grain VMax (Varmageddons are like throwing rocks). The 06 shot good. I am currently finishing putting in a Hicks Accurizer and bedding it. The 300 shoots well. It is hard to shoot to many. What I found with all three guns was the forearm hit the barrel most of the way. I could not get a piece of paper to go between the barrel and the gun. I sanded the channel out giving them good clearance. I also sanded the end of the forearm where it contacts the receiver. I did the two sides and the curved section on the bottom. The only place the forearm touches it the spring carrier. I took them to the range making sure when I screwed the forearm on I did not tighten them down to where they touched the receiver. The 204 shoots fantastic and at that time before the hicks the 06 shot better. I found when resting the forearm on the bag putting it under the forearm screw point they were deadly. If I placed it towards the front accuracy feel off. The last time I was at the range I decided to shoot the 204 out to 200 yards. I held over and shot. It hit where I held. I then held dead on and it hit perfect center. I am going to start reloading so I can fine tune the loads. I am waiting to go to the range and see what the Accurizer did for the 06. If you are having problems, free those forearms up.