HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lyman Great Plains Hunter .54?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

I have the GRH and the GPR in .50 and .54. It shoots Lyman Great Plains Conical bullets real well. My .50 GPH shoots roundball believe it or not. Just load 50 grains of powder and it will lay them in the target all day. Kind of accurate at moderate ranges.

I will say I had to get used to that curves stock. And actually from time to time forget about it and it catches me, digging in my shoulder. I have both percussion and flintlock models. The rifle is heavy. But I am like Semisane.. I know how far I have to walk to one of my blinds and when I sit down and lean it against the wall of the blind.. its not heavy at all..

The rifles have very dark wood. I would have liked something a bit more lighter. But they are well made, good wood, excellent lock speed on them. And like 1874Sharpshooter said... I would not part with them.

If you want something more walking friendly but just as good.. The Lyman Trade Rifle is excellent. I have them in both .50 and .54 and they shoot about anything I put down them. They are flintlock also. Excellent lock time. Very accurate.