HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What have you shot?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 03:11 PM
kidoggy
Banned

well there are so many, how to choose one?
o.k
here is the story of a small two point mule deer I once killed. was by far not the biggest buck I ever shot but may very well be the most important to me.I had hunted all season rifle with no luck that year. times were a bit tough and I really neede the meat. rifle had endes but I was leafing through the regs and saw that a short range season was open in a unit nearby but closed the next day . I had one last day to hunt and I went for it.

I hunted all morning and early afternoon and saw nothing. so ,I gave it up and got in my truck to head home. while driving out ,I spotted a lil two point skylined on a ridge top about a half mile away,so I watched him awhile and he dropped just under the rim and bedded down.the only way I could get close was to drive about a mile or so down the road until there was a break in the rim where I could get above him unseen.then peek over the rim from above.
the problem was the wind was blowing exactly from me to him, so I was not optomistic of my chances.

before I started my final stalk ,I said a prayer to GOD ,asking that HE would bless me with a kill, as I really needed the meat badly.

I crawled to the edge and there he was right below me , still bedded down. I don't know if he smelled or saw or heard me but he stood up , knowing something was up but did not run.I fired my 12 gauge slug gun and down he went. he probably rolled a hundred or so yards as the hill was pretty steep.
I raised to my knees ,said a prayer , thanking GOD. I then began my mile or so hike back around to where I could get off the rim, (I still am not sure how he was able to get off that rim as it was straight up and down and I could not see a way)Igot my truck and was able to park almost directly under him, so it was a fairly easy pack off the hill.

that was one of the most delicious deer I ever had the pleasure to eat.and there is not a doubt in my mind that GOD had my back that hunt.

Last edited by kidoggy; 05-17-2015 at 03:34 PM.