HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2016 Elk Hunt Help!
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

I personally would suggest using a guide/outfitter as well. For the simple reason that you don't know the area, you can't scout, and your lack of familiarity with the area would seriously hinder the hunt itself. I hunt out of state all the time. I am very familiar with many public lands in the Colorado region and I do SOMETIMES still use an outfitter/guide for the simple reason that I can't get in there soon enough to do what homework needs to be done to get archery close on an Elk.

That "millions upon millions" acres of public land is the primary reason you should use a guide/outfitter for your FIRST hunt in Colorado. Phone calls to biologists or web visits to DOW can't replace boots on the ground that the reputable guides in Colorado can provide. And there are MANY reputable guides there that are well within your price range. I do agree that a DIY hunt can be more satisfying at times, but the OP seems to have very little experience with the type of hunt he is going for. Get a few guided hunts under his belt then strike out on his own would be my suggestion.