HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 5 ~ Strut Stoppers
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 05:27 PM
VTBoneCollector
Fork Horn

Well , our season began on May 1st and I finally got one on Mothers Day morning. My brother had already tagged one on the second day and while I was away at my oldest daughters college graduation, he went out and roosted a Tom and 5 Jakes. We set up the next morning where we thought the birds had roosted, seeings how he couldn't see exactly where they had flown up. Before day light came, we had a little visitor that came and climbed the tree that was about 4 feet behind my brother. Needless to say, he was a little nervous because if that visitor fell out of the tree and on him, my brother was gonna have to get the pliers out and pull some quills. That didn't happen luckily for him. As the sun started to rise, the Tom was gobbling his head off to our right. Every once and a while, a jake would sound off further down the field. Eventually 2 of the jakes flew down, in sight, about 200 yards away. The Tom must of flew down in the woods and worked his way to where the jakes came down. We could see the Tom strutting on top of the knoll. The jakes looked like they were heading away from us but to our left. But 2 of them turned and started to head our way and eventually made their way to our decoys. The first one looked to have 2 beards and my brother was very tempted but held off. The Tom worked his way to us slowly, strutting and gobbling all the way. And when it looked like he was going to follow the jakes to the right of us, I said we better shoot because it didn't look like he was coming any closer. On the count of 3, I pulled the trigger and he went down like a ton of bricks and never flinched. My brother said he never shot because he was going to try and get the double bearded jake. It didn't happen. I paced it off and came up with 49 paces. By far my longest turkey kill. The bird weighed in at 15.2 lbs. It had a 8 1/2" beard with 3/4" spurs. I'm not done though. I've been hunting this 1 Tom that will easily go over 20lbs and has a rope that is the thickest I've ever seen in all the years that I've been turkey hunting. I've come close 3 different times but it hasn't worked out yet. Still have 3 more weeks. Wish me luck.