HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gobble calls
Thread: Gobble calls
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 12:47 PM
grinder67
Typical Buck

Default Gobble calls

Have any of you ever called in a tom by using a gobble call only?
This weekend is the last of Indiana's turkey season and my wife was drawn to hunt one of the local reservoirs. Anyway we heard a bird gobbling around 10:30 yesterday a good distance away so we moved to a position in front of where I thought he was headed, sat down and made a few soft calls on a slate and with a mouth call. No response, the bird would occasionally gobble but was not getting any closer. So we made a move closer but was still at least 200 yards from him and tried again with the same results. So I decided to try and gobble at him and he immediately gobbled back so I gobbled again and he instantly answered again so i waited a few minutes and he gobbled again and had cut the distance in half. A few minutes later at about 70 yards and still out of sight he yelped a couple of times and I answered him with a couple yelps of my own. Five minutes later he gobbled again around 200 yards away.
A few minutes later he gobbled and I answered with a gobble and the whole scenario played out the same way again but this time when he yelped from 70 yards away I answered with a gobble trying to sound more like a jake than a tom. He yelped a couple more times and I answered with gobbles only. In just a few short minutes he made his way around the bulldozer pile that I had not realized was between him and I, and walked right up the end of my wife's shot gun barrel.
On a side note my wife lost her dad last fall and her older brother gave her there dads shot gun because her and I hunt and she really wanted to get a turkey with her dads gun. Mission accomplished!