HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Done in RI
Thread: Done in RI
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 06:39 AM
RIStrutStopper
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Sounds like a good hunt congrats ! As far as the beards go I don't put too much in that unless its a jake. A couple of years ago a buddy passed on a tom with a small beard because of the beard size. It just so happened that I had a couple close trail cam pics of the bird and his spurs made up for the lack of beard as they were easily 1.5 " When I showed him the pics he about cried and spend almost the rest of the season after that tom with no luck as he was sneaky old boy !
Turns out the beard was 10 1/8 inches. A bunch of strands were broken though.

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Nice when you can work them like that---Congrats on your success!
This was very similar to yesterday's hunt, different Tom, different state but very similar hunt. A million things could go wrong, but when it all works out its a great feeling. Killed both birds almost to the same minute both days. Yesterday, I found out after the hunt someone else who has permission to hunt the same property didn't see my truck on his way in and he and his sons were listening to me working that bird up. They could have easily messed up my hunt. Today, As I'm carrying the bird back to my truck, a hen was walking across the field. If she was a few minutes earlier, That probably would have been that. I've been lucky this season though, 3 birds for 5 hunts a week and a half into the season. One tag left to go.