HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Done in RI
Thread: Done in RI
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 03:11 AM
RIStrutStopper
Nontypical Buck

Default Done in RI

I had a delightful conversation with a young Tom this morning. He seemed confident on the roost, thundering at the unwanted owl hooting not 50 yards from where I parked my truck. He was equally vocal in our conversation. A little clucking, a little yelping, and a bit of silence all had him thundering away, yet he seemed reluctant to meet face to face. At one point, he did move away, but I reassured him that our meeting might be worth his while. He left the far end of wood lot getting further away, but circled around, ever so slowly making his approach. A tree to my right blocked all sight of him, but his increasingly loud gobbles announced he was interested in the plastic bobble-headed hen positioned 20 yards in front of me. It was a bit drizzly this morning, so when he finally made his appearance, the pencil thin beard was not impressive, but it was wet, after all. He continued gobbling and strutting while approaching from my right, but when he turned his back I took advantage of the opportunity. When he once again gazed in my direction, my sights were already settled on his neck. BOOM! our conversation was over. Thoroughly enjoyable. I do need to head back out to the truck and prepare him for dinner.