HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 05:15 AM
Talondale
Nontypical Buck

I spent the afternoon sneaking from woodlot to woodlot scoping out the fields for turkey. Spotted a lone gobbler on the back edge of the property feeding under some power lines in the field about 500 yards away. I dropped down below the hill and swung around to get in front of him. When I was about a 100 yards from where I wanted to go I heard him gobble over the rise. I cut across a cut-over that bordered the field and was screened by cedars and scrubs growing on the fence line. Working to the edge I setup with some cover before and behind. Did some light purrs and clucks but heard nothing. After a while I progressed to some soft yelps but still nothing. I could see where he had been but there was no sign of him. After 45 minutes I gave up and snuck out into the field. He was nowhere in sight. I think he had slipped into the neighboring woods for the evening right after the gobble. Maybe there were hens already in there and he had been lingering back in the field. I had hopes he was alone and ready for love but it was not to be. BEAUTIFUL evening though. Just loved being out in the nice weather and nature. On the drive home I scouted out the rest of the dairy farm looking for other spots to hunt. Enjoyed that too. Great day.