HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6.8 spcii
Thread: 6.8 spcii
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 12:50 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

It's not the speed for zero I am worried about Mercy. It's the drop off at range. I just want to make 100 percent sure I have plenty of speed at impact for opening up. The interlocks I am using now tend to not open up at around 220 yards+, with the load I have that is the most accurate, as I would like them to. I figure if I go to a lighter bullet weight and pack in about 350-450 more fps I can get a more reliable opening for dead hogs. Don't forget that they way we go after them is in groups so head and neck shots aren't very good options for scattering hogs. Shoulders and ribs are the target so I need a tough bullet that I know will open up reliably. Since I am only getting 2380 at the muzzle with the 130's, at 250 yards it is getting to the no go point.

If I remember correctly Mercy, you have an 18 inch 6.8 so your loading data for 100gr would be highly appreciated since you have similar rifles to mine. I have about every kind of powder that 6.8 books recommend. Benchmark, H322 (currently my powder for the 130's), IMR 4198 and 3031, and RL7. I want to run a little hot but not TOO hot. I figure if I can get up to 2750 with a good BC bullet like the AB then I should have more efficiency at longer range impact.