HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 PM
kellyguinn
Super Moderator

Sorry its taking so long to get the story up here. I've been in the process of getting my parents moved to Florida and myself buying there house here in Oklahoma and getting moved in.

I've only had a total of 4 days in the woods turkey hunting this year. Its been kinda depressing lol. I got out Wednesday morning watched 2 Toms follow a group of hens right out of sight so I figured I'd get set up on them for the evening as I have seen them go back and forth thru the same area the few days I have been out. Wouldn't ya know it they start coming in just like clock work only to have 2 hens come in and usher them the other direction. They ended up roosting about 200 yrds off on private. Not only did they roost over there but while I was paying attention to them 1 came in a to my decoys which I had set behind me to try and prevent them for hangin up. I never got to see him but I could hear him drumming back and forth right behind me. frustrating.... The next morning I decided to go ahead and see if I could call the birds I roosted on over to public but as usual they hit the dirt and went directly away from me. By 8:30 I was ready to give up on that spot so I decided to do a little run and gun action. Drove by several spots I've seen turkeys in before only to have no sign of birds until I decided to take a little hike into one spot when I seen a few tracks leading up a road. After 1/2 mile in and 1/4 mile east I did a little calling. Without any gobbles at all 3 came running in from public. I ducked behind a tree and started working them in. Got them to within 20 yrds of the fence line when they turned tail and ran. Guess the land owner had been watching and decided to scare them back to his property. He came by like Mario Andretti on his ATV and chased them away. Dejected I decided to give one more spot a chance before heading home. I was a place I camped a few years back and remember hearing a gobble while getting the tent set up. I hopped out of the truck and headed west about 100 yrds, made one rap on the box call and had a gobble off to my east. I hightailed it back by the truck and across the parking lot when he gobbled again. This time he was right on me. I ducked to the nearest tree, thru my gloves and headcover on and got set up. Then "silence". After about 10 min I gave the box call another hit and he started gobbling again, this time much further out. The only thing I can think is he saw me set up. But my luck was changing as a few min later he started gobbling like every 30 sec and with each one he was closer. Within just as few min there he was and I pulled the trigger. I took my biggest bird to date just 30 yrds from the truck.

Good luck to all that are still out. Looks like my season will be over for this year.
Attached Images  

Last edited by kellyguinn; 05-04-2015 at 07:38 PM.