HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Worried About My 7 mm Mag Lethality
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 01:44 PM
buffybr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jmbobs
. . . Everything I read online sounded like nobody ever recovers a barnes bullet so I was shocked to recover three in one deer.
I've used Barnes bullets almost exclusively in my .375 RUM and .300 Weatherby. They shoot sub-moa 3 shot groups in each of these rifles, with a couple of bullet weights in either TSX and/or TTSX bullets.

I started using them in 2005, and have since killed over 30 big game animals with them in North America, Africa, and New Zealand. I have only recovered 6 Barnes bullets from those animals as many were complete pass throughs, but I did not try to recover bullets from many of the animals where the bullets did not pass through.

Here's a pic of the .30 caliber Barnes bullets that I did recover. Each of these bullets hit a major bone in the animal, and only one broke a petal off. The other two retained 99% of their original weight.

I have not lost any animals that I have shot with a Barnes bullet, and I do not believe that any of my bullets "penciled" through any animal, as all of the complete pass throughs, had a greater than caliber exit holes.

The first elk that I shot with a Barnes was a complete pass through, just behind his shoulders. When the 168 grain TSX bullet hit him, he turned around, ran a couple of steps and fell dead. There was 15 feet of blood splatter on the snow on each side of him.

In all of my years of hunting, I think that 99% of the bullet failures that I've had were the bullets that I failed to put in the right place.