HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Worried About My 7 mm Mag Lethality
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 09:37 AM
buffybr
Typical Buck

That's some excellent accuracy sensei.

Nothing wrong with the lethality of the 7mm Rem mag. I've had a couple that I've used on hunts in Africa, northern Canada, and on deer, antelope, and elk in Montana. I used 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets on one African hunt with good results, but were on the light side. I later switched to 160 grain Accubonds for another African hunt, and they worked so well that I have been using them for all other hunts with that rifle.

Years ago I took a friend moose hunting and he used his 7mm Rem Mag to make a one shot kill on what was at that time, the 4th largest bull moose ever killed in Montana.

I've used TSX bullets in my .375 RUM and both TSX and TTSX bullets in my .300 Weatherby, all with excellent results. The TTSX bullets shot slightly better than the same weight TSX bullets in my .300 Bee, but I would not hesitate to hunt any North American game animals with either one.

In over 40 years of deer hunting in Colorado and Montana, I've found that the common cup and core bullets like the Sierra GameKings to be completely adequate for deer hunting. Bullet placement is far more important than bullet diameter or construction.