HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Low value Binoculars
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Agree, the Nikon Travelite series are very nice compacts for the $. Nikon compacts

I know you can spend more $ and get better, but for the $...imo, they are hard to beat. I have 2 pairs, one is 10+yrs old. They are crisp, clear, super easy to use & focus.
Most people say that you HAVE to spend alot of $ to get something worth using, I'll disagree. Of course the more you spend the better you typically get, but that doesn't mean that anything less than expensive is junk.

I have a pair of $400 Nikons that are super nice - obviously better than my compacts. The majority of the time I end up taking my compacts. Sure, you suffer a little at low light (as with any compact)...but I really like the compactness of them, and I don't feel like I lose much of anything using them. It fits my hunting style much better overall and I use them for bow, ML, & rifle. I prefer the 8x25 model, as it gives a tad more in low light than 10x or 12x, albeit probably not much.

Now, one thing I will say... these are miles ahead of the super cheapos (ie: $19-39 binos - tasco, bushnell, simmons, etc). I have had a couple pairs of those that have been given to my kids by non-hunting family members over the years, and they ain't worth a crap. Almost impossible to use.

My buddy bought a Leupold compact last year, it was pretty nice too. Similar to the Nikon's and about the same price point. I can't remember what the name was.