HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any tips on a tree stand selection
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I would recommend you go to a sporting goods store and actually have a stand in hand before you buy one. Then if you like it, and it is cheaper from Amazon even with shipping go for Amazon. As for me, I have been disappointed once too many times to buy sight unseen except for a picture.
100% agree. Most all the sporting goods stores that carry climbers will have display models. Have a look, feel their weight for packing, try sitting in one if they have it out where you can. Most climbers nowadays are fairly comfortable for your average size people. I'm a fairly large man at over 6 feet and a little over 240 and find my Summit Cobra great for Bow hunting. Weight limit is 300 and it's around 18 pounds. I have a couple of older climbers from Summit that are rated at 350 but they are a good deal heavier at around 25 or so.

You didn't specify what type of hunting you were going to do out of it. You want an open front style for bow hunting. A lot of climbers today have a rail in the front for both shooting and using it as a sit bar to climb. It's still usable for bow but it hinders your shooting angles. Especially with a longer axle to axle bow or traditional.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 04-27-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Spelling