HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - guns for ext AK trip
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 12:28 PM
AK Jeff
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SILVERTIP-CO
Im planning a 6 month campin road trip to AK in spring 2017. Just me and the dog. Or maybe just me. I have a lotta rifles and bought a Wby Vanguard S1 sstl .338 WinMag 5 yrs ago in prep for my trip. I have it all scoped and bore sighted but havent actually shot it yet. I'll get to that one day. I was thinking of taking a minimum amount of guns along with me so narrowed my selection to my .338 and a sstl Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. But the more I read the more I think I may be a bit over gunned. Maybe take a .22wmr pistol for small game too. But when I think more about my impending travels and keep looking at my gun rack and gun cabinet I'm just not sure. Comments from those who've done it or AK residents appreciated.

Rather than add another post , Illl just edit this one and ask what could I hunt from May to Sept in AK as I travel around. camping, fly fishing, panning for gold and visiting three friends? Spring black bear and ?
Silvertip,

The thing that will dictate your experience much more so than gun selection is budget. Are you going to go inexpensive and try and stay on the road system, or are you willing to drop a few grand on a fly out? Do you have a specific species you want to hunt? Alaska is huge and generally expensive to do quality hunts, so if you narrow down a budget and target species you can come up with realistic goals.