HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Using the bones
Thread: Using the bones
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM
olsaltydog
Nontypical Buck

What convinced you to start hunting? Is it the diet and health you are pursuing that has persuaded you or is it something else? Bow hunting is a great experience, on this though would suggest you get out to a outfitter/range or something and learn to shoot first.

As Flags has said, being in college shouldn't deter you, but it will require some ingenuity to store and cook your harvest.

Originally Posted by Dymphna
Hello! This is my first post here.

I only recently decided to start hunting, so I won't be able to actually kill anything for a while. I'm still in college (and therefore living in dorms), don't have a license yet, and I have scrawny arms (I want to bow hunt). But when I eventually do harvest an animal, I want to use the bones in my meals. I have good reason to believe that it will really help my bone health (http://thepaleodiet.com/got-bones-pa...s-soft-supple/), and as a female I need to try to build up my bone mass while I'm still young.

There are bone meal supplements, of course, but since you're supposed to put as much of the animal to good use as you can (right?), I thought some bone recipes would be a good idea. Do you have any good recipes that include animal bones?
Also is there an issue with your bone health already? There are other foods that provide calcium including kale, spinach, broccoli, etc. My wife had to change her diet due to a lack of calcium when pregnant and also included supplements. Will commend you on using the bones but will also be honest, one animal and being a new huntress you will not be able to supply your year round needs this way.

Wish you luck but also wish you could provide a little more information. Right now I only have a diet, woman, and wanting to eat your harvests bones to go off of; and you want to use a bow with scrawny arms to support your bone structure. Location, types of animals you may be ok with hunting, as some places have other options as well.