HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Using the bones
Thread: Using the bones
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Don't know if it helps or not but a lot of times I will take all the bones after I remove the meat and cut them into pieces small enough to fit in a crockpot. Cover them with water, add a chopped onion and carrots, salt and pepper and let them go all day. This makes some outstanding stock that I use later for soups and stews. I put the stock in pint jars and freeze it for later use. I've also roasted marrow bones from elk and bison but deer are a little small for that. I'm pretty sure that making the stock this way would give you a lot of the minerals from the bones, but that is just a guess on my part since I'm not a nutritionist.

Don't let being in a dorm prevent you from hunting. You can bone out a deer and it will fit easily in the freezer compartment of a standard refrigerator or you can buy a small deep freeze (5 cu ft or so) for a very little amount of $$$. If you have a crockpot, a toaster over and a hot plate you can cook venison easily. I did this type of thing for a long time when I was a young bachelor living in apartments. If you want to make it really easy on yourself you can have an entire deer ground into burger and use it in anything calling for ground meat.