HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone used a tail fan to walk up on turkeys?
Old 04-19-2015, 03:44 PM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
"But I guess the only way to hunt safely is either not go or do it out of a pickup window."

Please give me a break when you try to compare not hunting at all to not have an accident to crawling around with a turkey fan! There are also a lot of accidents right around or in vehicles, so that comparison also doesn't hack it. Also, I would bet if bald9eagle would have dug further into the stats he posted and they are available he would have found that the number of people turkey hunting that are shot out in the field is at a higher percentage than those hunting other species. One reason is because people are in full camo and another is due to people calling and idiots coming to that call with a shotgun that has more of a chance to hit someone with many pellets you are putting out compared to a rifle. Coming to a call is also a big nono, but you read about many accidents where a person did exactly that and then shot the hunter that was sitting hidden while calling. In a nutshell, this is one where a couple of us will just have to agree to disagree with the two of you.
So you are saying that the ratio of hunters/incidents is greater for turkey hunting? I have to imagine that there are far fewer bird and squirrel hunters out there so they would carry the greatest percentage.

Also, Alabama boosts one of if not the highest number of turkey hunters and out of state turkey hunters in the nation. Here's some numbers....in 2010/2011 there were 255,771 licenses sold in AL. It is estimated that 25% of those turkey hunted. So we are just guessing that in spring of 2011 there were 64,000 turkey hunters, though that seems low to me. If we say there were 2 hunter shootings that means that .00312% of hunters were hurt. Estimated that 90% of licensed hunters deer hunted. Average about 15 incidents per season. So for 230,000 hunters that means about .0065 % of deer hunters were involved in an incident....more than twice that of turkey hunters.